Wednesday, September 24, 2008

hurumph.

Today, the sky can't decide if it wants to be a gorgeous brilliant blue Autumn-in-Iowa fall sky that makes you want to run and breathe it all in, or the white-gray Autumn-in-Iowa sky that occurs when there's just enough chill in the air to make you wear a hoodie and drink some tea or hot chocolate and curl up with a book or music or a dog or all three. It's a weird in-between stage, like it can't decide what it's gonna be. Which, naturally, means we don't get the best of either of the two scenarios. Which, just as naturally, means I'm slightly bummed and very tired and sitting here listening to depressing music which, although beautiful and melodic, isn't helping matters any. So I thought I'd make a list of things that tend to contribute to the bummed-out feeling, or just outright torque me off.

1. Slanted journalism. This one's been on my mind for a few days, ever since I read a NY Times article about Palin. Obviously, journalism is *rarely* completely unbiased. But when you're the New York Times, shouldn't the fact that you've reached the pinnacle of your profession mean that you're good enough to write the straight up facts like you're supposed to? I don't care which way it's slanted- if I want an opinion, I'll read the Opinion section. Not the front page.

2. People that expect me to think they're funny when they're really, really not.

3. Bashing on law enforcement. Maybe this should be a subdivision of slanted journalism, but it's outside the world of media too. Where do these people get off thinking that they can judge what our police officers do? Have they done it? Oh right, you've watched Cops. That does make you qualified. I forgot.

4. The fact that I never tell people to shut the heck up when that's all I really want to do.

5. The fact that I found out that I didn't have my first class AFTER I got up early and got there.

6. Being tired pretty much all the time. Nobody ever told me that was part of the whole "being a grown up" package. I think I'd prefer my childhood vision of adulthood, which consisted of having a dream job and making like, THOUSANDS of dollars, and having lots of time to go do cool grownup things with friends.

7. Homework. I know, everybody has to deal with it. But that means everyone knows what I'm talking about, and it sucks, right?

8. Knowing there was something you were thinking about and it was important and all of the sudden,you can't remember what it was in the first place.

Okay, I think that's pretty much it for now. However, to counterbalance the whole negativity bit, there ARE things I'm very happy about. I'm off to a cooking club with my sister tonight, where we'll get to share food and stories and fun. The Office starts up again tomorrow-more pam and jim goodness and dwight ridiculousness to laugh about. Class was cancelled this morning. I still have a third of a strawberry soda and an entire package of dark chocolate peanut m&m's to get me through my shift in the writing lab. (sugar crash, what?) homemade macaroni & cheese! My sweet playlist at the bottom of this blog. I'm almost caught up on homework. Knowing I'll be with my favorite people ever in 1.5 hours. The fact that the clouds are pulling apart-looks like the sky decided to be sunny after all.

1 comment:

JustCourtney &TyTom said...

Hey, was fun to have you come last night. Your mac&cheese rocks, just like mom's!
Also, love your rant list. Fully on board with ya, babe!